Thursday, January 24

Little Monkey

I am afraid that the days of the crib might be coming to an end for Miss Abigail! How can that be...?? She's only 19 months old.

Yesterday morning Samuel and I were in my bed watching cartoons and all of a sudden we hear "hello, hello," we both looked over at the door and there stood Miss Abby with a big grin on her face from ear to ear. Maybe it's just a one time thing. So she went down for her afternoon nap just fine. Two hours later, Samuel and I were in the playroom, and we heard "Uh-Oh, Uh-Oh," I ran into the family room and saw her standing at the back gate. She is so proud of herself when she does it. What a little stinker!Fast forward to today. I called my mom to see if she went down for her afternoon nap okay. Not exactly! Seems that napping wasn't on Abby's agenda today. Shortly after mom put her down she heard a loud noise! Yep, she had climbed out. Which brings us to this evening....We brushed teeth, read books, said our prayers, and then I put her in the crib. About 30 seconds later, I hear her running down the hallway giggling. So back to bed we go...30 seconds she's out. About this time my Nanny 911 skills kicked in...I sat in her room and every time I saw that little leg hop up on the railing, I very calmly laid her back down and said "night night." Talk about one mad little girl! I lost count after the 4th or 5th time. Our night time routine that normally takes 10-15 minutes took 1 hour tonight!

I am just not ready for my baby to have a BIG GIRL bed OR FREEDOM in her room! She isn't even 2 yet!

2 comments:

Amber Turner said...

Crib Tent and/or baby gate at the door to her room so at least she cannot escape her bedroom (Kenden has one at his door). If her crib is equal sides all the way around, a crib tent will work. Also, I have this wonderful book called Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weisbluth....he says to employ the "silent return to sleep" where you return the child to bed w/out making eye contact and w/out speaking at all as many times as it takes until they give up. Now, I haven't had to do that yet, (thank God), but it sounds like that is pretty much what you did. Another thing you can do is make a chart for her (star chart) and give her a star for each time she DOES NOT escape and stays in bed, then she gets a reward for staying in bed. you can start by rewarding her each time, then for every 3 stars she gets, then for 5 stars in a row, then for 7 in a row. It doesn't have to be anything major for a reward (Kenden works for M&Ms).....hope that helps some!! Love Amber

KellyA said...

I would say first thing, take out the bumper in her crib if she's using that to push up on. If you want to try a crib tent, I have one you can borrow. Just shoot me an email.

I haven't had that issue with either girl, so I don't have any other advice. Good luck!